Thursday, March 31, 2005

How We think VS What We Think

I heard an interesting debate while listening to talk radio yesterday. The question was basically this: How come The Theory of Intelligent Design can't be taught in public schools side by side with Darwin's Theory of Evolution? Now, I am not posting this to continue the debate I already heard on the radio. This is a question that many have asked. Separation of Church and State right? Well, this guy was saying that you wouldn't need to cram it down the students' throats like Darwin gets crammed. Just make it a voluntary class, or elective for students who would like to hear another "theory". For that's all Darwin is...an unproved theory, that for whatever reason gets taught as fact every day in America's classrooms.

Anyway my actual reason for making this post is, one guy made a statement, and I don't want to detract from what he said by telling you what side of the debate he was on. I just think that what he said was profound, and good food for thought. Especially for those of us with kids who will or are participating in public school.

I will paraphrase the best I can from memory. He said, " You know in educational institutions you always hear of how important it is to promote free thinking. But, in reality free thinking is often found to be questioning authority, or being a trouble maker. I believe that we should be teaching our kids how to think, rather than what to think. Teach them to question everything. Teach them that questioning authority is not a bad thing, if done respectfully. In the end, it isn't the answers that are so relative, but maybe instead, it's the questions that we ask ourselves that matter most.

I heard this and thought to myself, "BINGO"! I know I had a bad experience with a history prof in my freshman year in college. Where I felt I was being treated unfairly because of my own religious and political beliefs. In high school my brother had an experience with a teacher when he confronted them in front of the class, calling into question some bogus thing they were trying to pawn off to the kids. Instead of getting in trouble, he should have been praised for the courage to question. Not just lap it up.

Whew! my two cents for today. = )

3 comments:

White Salamander said...

I exactly agree. In general I think students should really be taught and trained more in critcal thinking rather than simply repeating in lock step what a professor has told them in class.

I would take that even further and say the same thing for religion. Nothing is more discouraging than "That's just the way it is" type of answer from a pastor or priest. Intellectual curiosity should be encouraged rather than viewed as some kind of heresy.

Tracy said...

Excellent comment about teaching kids how to think instead of what to think! The latter would inhibit any and all progress for the future.

I totally agree...well said.

Unknown said...

Thank you Mr. Einstein, for one of my favorite quotes!

"The only question that is stupid, is the one you never ask."