Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Touched By an Angel

I was at the gym last night working hard, when I noticed an unusual movement in the corner of my eye. I gave a quick glance and noticed a woman hopping around on one foot. At first I thought to myself that, yeah that would be a good exercise to build some leg strength. Upon further examination I realized she was an amputee. Her right leg was missing from mid-thigh down. Of course I have seen people with missing limbs before, but what made this extraordinary was her level of fitness. Her muscles were toned to rock hard shape, and her work out was just as intense as anyone else there.

As I watched her gather her crutches up under her arms and make her way painstakingly out of the gym, I couldn't help but feel inspired by her determination. I have to admit that I cranked out a few more reps after she left.

I wonder if she is ever aware of the inspiration she gives to others. It's funny how she so unknowingly touched me, and inspired me to be better, complain less, etc. Do others watch us? Do we unknowingly inspire others to do better? The thought of it is kinda scary. It sure makes me want to be a better person.

4 comments:

White Salamander said...

Excellent Post. It really makes you stop and wonder who could have been watching, not only when you were at your best, but also when you were at your worst.

:) said...

Very inspiring indeed.

Flatman

Tracy said...

You know, I've always wonderered the same thing, and I really agree with TWS that other people must be watching us, too.

Great observation, posted at a most appreciated time.

Unknown said...

One of my favorite posts...I love the image of this lady trying her best despite her obvious obstacles...thank you for this thought!