Friday, March 25, 2005

In a hurry to kill

Well, I have avoided posting about the Terry Shiavo case, but I just have a thought or two on it that I can't seem to ignore.

I don't claim to know or understand all the facts here, but to me it seems that these judges and courts ruling against Terry's parents are almost in a hurry to get it over with. I know the case itself has been ongoing for years now. I just think that with new allegations of possible abuse, plus a Mayo Clinic doctor who has examined her recently, claiming she is not in a persistent vegitative state, it might be prudent to put the brakes on for a moment here just to check things out. What would it hurt? If she doesn't "feel anything" anyway, then why the big hurry to kill her off?

I heard a quote on tv from the Florida Senate President from the last time her feeding tube was removed, and the Senate voted in "Terry's Law" to have the tube re-inserted. When the Senate had finished voting, the President stated to the rest of the house, " I hope we have done the right thing here tonight. I can't help but wonder if this is what Terry really wanted. If not, then God have mercy on us".

GOD HAVE MERCY ON US? Was he kidding? God have mercy on you for deciding to allow life over death? How about God have mercy on you for killing someone without knowing of a surety what her wishes were? If you are going to err, isn't it better to err on the side of life, rather than death?

Again, what's the big hurry here? Let's check into some of these new developements instead of sweeping her and her family under the all-powerful judicial rug.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Personally, I wonder why the Federal Governement is getting involved at all in a personal matter like this. Why this one and not others? Congress is not designed for, nor is it meant to get involved in these sorts of things, that's why we have state courts.

On another note, on two separate occasions this woman made it known that she never wanted to live in a vegetative state, but that's exactly how she's been living now for 15 years. Seems that her parents need to let go... it's what she wanted.

Brady said...

True...The constitution is much bigger than Terry Shiavo. I can't say I agree with the feds setting a precedent by stepping into a state matter. I realize that judge after judge after judge has seen this case and ruled in favor of the husband, Michael.

My point is if she really is in a "persistent vegitative state" than why do we need to hurry? She isn't suffering. She doesn't know she's a vegitable. And if she can't feel anything, then why is she being jacked up on morphine?

Unknown said...

If this were my daughter, I would be outraged that the government was part of ANY of the decision-making process as to what was best for my daughter. That being said, this case reminds me why it is important to have a Living Will!