Tuesday, May 17, 2005

If you're that desperate, I have some good ideas...

Watching the last episode of Everybody Loves Raymond last night, I saw a trailer for the new Tom Cruise movie coming out, War of The Worlds. I now have to ask what in the heck is going on? Has Hollywood lost all of its creative talent and ability? I can’t believe all the remakes going on recently. A list just from off the top of my head.

War of The Worlds
Dukes of Hazard
Starsky and Hutch
Amityville Horror
The Haunting (not so recent but still...)
Flight of The Phoenix
The Longest Yard
The Incredible Hulk
The Exorcist
The Stepford Wives
Dawn of The Dead
Magnificent Seven

I am sure there are a ton more that I’m not aware of. So, what’s the deal here? Has Hollywood lost its ability to create something new and imaginative? Or are they just unwilling to take a risk or gamble on something new and imaginative? Surely there are screenplays out there being written that are brilliant. I can’t imagine all the ideas are used up.

It seems the trend here is to either remake an old classic, make a movie stemming from an old 70s era TV show, or make a movie out of a Comic book hero. Is anyone out there having any original ideas? Even George Lucas has fallen prey to cashing in on previous success with his new Star Wars movies.

I guess I am not really complaining all that much. In a lot of cases the remake is awesome and definitely needed to be done. But, in so many other cases it drives me nuts when the new remake isn’t as good as the original, or even worse, it is EXACTLY IDENTICAL to the original and you walk away wondering, why did they even bother?

I am sure it’s all about the money. Capitalizing on the success of the original will always be too much of a temptation for Hollywood I guess. For some of us these remakes are blasphemy, like the Muppet version of the Wizard of Oz. For others it’s an exciting opportunity to see their old favorites with better special effects, and newer, hipper actors and scripting.

For me. I’d rather see something new and fresh. Leave the originals alone. And don’t even get me going on the remaking of SONGS!

4 comments:

Tracy said...

I KNOW exactly what you're talking about! I heard an old Police song remade today and about lost my mind. WHY people -- WHY???

Fumo Santo said...

I agree to a certain extent regarding remaking films. Should there be enough technological advancement to justify the remake, as in War of the Worlds (c'mon, you know you'll see that one!), I don't see a problem with it. As for remakes such as The Longest Yard, I think it's rather pointless, and I won't be in line to see it.
The Longest Yard remake especially burns me, for it stars Burt Reynolds who is really just cashing a paycheck since he starred in the original film. I really don't see anything new that they can bring to table.
One of the only benefits I can see from remakes is to turn a younger audience on to stories that have been well told, however another solution is to meander down to the local Blockbuster and try renting something other than what's listed on the New Release wall.
I'll admit Hollywood is struggling for new ideas as of late, and it shows in box office numbers. Should the average moviegoer boycott remakes by not paying their hard-earned dollars to see them in the show, this may eventually send a message to the powers that be.
We're in desperate need for more originality coming from the studios, and you may have noticed a trend leaning towards Japanese cinema as of late. I guess right now, should you look for originality, look to foreign films and you won't be disappointed.
We are a society of choice, and whether Hollywood chooses to inundate our multiplexes with crappy remakes, it'll always be our choice not to see them.

sandy said...

I highly reccomend "Cinderalla Man"
I forget the number, but there is only x amount of story plots. You know, boy meets girl, etc.
Hollywood as a whole will only try what has worked in the past. That's why you don't see many new ideas being filmed.

Unknown said...

I'm a purist at heart...give me the original movies (okay except "Scrooge" with George C. Scott) and leave the contemporary films to the new, hip actors!