Thursday, May 26, 2005

Common Sense Prevails

Well, I am happy to report that the Union met and voted on Tuesday morning, and we will not be striking. We voted to ratify the new contract in a landslide. This was a good contract, and I am glad to see most union members had their heads screwed on straight despite the fanatical rantings of some of the members. The Union President told us that some PACE national representative actually saw our figures and said that it was an astounding raise in pay, one of the best he's ever seen, and it should be an automatic ratification. Without going into actual numbers, I can say that over the next five years, my pay will be 28% higher than it is now. That's incredible!

It completely blows my mind that there were members campaigning for a strike! I am sure they would give their reasons, but jeeze la wheeze! When is enough, enough for some people? This is one of my problems I have with unions. Some members get really greedy and think they can strike and get whatever they want.

Anyway, it's all good now. Now we all have some healing to do. A lot of ugly things were said throughout the whole ordeal.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Hey, great news!!! And that raise is going to be nice. I'm glad that things turned out well for you, it's hard to be up in the air, but it makes landing all the sweeter.

And regarding the hurt feelings, at least one thing is true: this too, shall pass.

Unknown said...

You are the type of person I applaud getting a substantial raise...you're not asking for it and you probably deserved it!