Friday, May 06, 2005

The Big Face Off

Well, it's down to the wire now. Looks like my union is most likely going to strike soon. Negotiations with the new contractor are not going well at all. All the other security officers that I talk to are grumbling and rumbling about striking. We've never striked before. The company doesn't believe we'll do it. I think they are in for a major surprise.

I don't want to strike. In fact, I am pretty content with my pay and benefits as they stand now. But, it seems I am alone in this thinking. I hear stories from both sides, and in my opinion both sides are being stubborn and stupid. But, I have to lay most of the blame on this new company. They could have pacified us by doing very little, and we would have settled for not much at all. But, they showed up ready for a fight, and have seemed to go out of their way to antagonize the union.

This sucks! I can't afford to go without pay for very long. This is the best job I've ever had, and I can't stand the thought of it being jeapordized by something this stupid!

There will be no crossing the line. The company, for the sake of national security, will lock us all out in the event of a strike, despite this being a "right to work" state.

So here I sit wondering what my situation will be like in the next week or so.

= 0

6 comments:

Tracy said...

What!!? Even if you don't want to strike you aren't allowed to work? That doesn't even make sense! Hell, I can't even believe that's legal!

sandy said...

Wil doesn't seem to understand what a lock out means.
The company will lock out all employees that are on strike. They may even pre-empt the strikers and lock them out before a strike is declared. This happened to me at Paramount Pictures. I showed up for work only to find myself locked out. Because of that, I was able to draw un-employment insurance.

Brady said...

hmmmm unemployment insurance would be helpful.

Kermit said...

Just striking does not qualify you for UI. But I do believe that a 'lock out' would qualify you for UI. It varies from state to state, but, look into it.

In the meantime, I'll pray for both sides to cool off and think with their big heads and not their little heads.

Peace an all good,

The Frog

J C said...

You'll be lucky if you do have some sort of benefits in the event of a lock-out. When I owned a truck in 1980, almost all the truckers decided to 'strike' against a new federal road tax and some other federal regulation changes (deregulation of freight rates)that would negatively effect all owner-operators. I drove for another week to finish an obligation, then after having a hole shot in the radiator of the truck ahead of me on I-5, I parked my truck. After a week of seeing everyone else I knew still running, and after losing over three thousand bucks, I decided to go back to work. All that was accomplished by the "strike" was fear for my life and a loss of money.

If you do anything, be sure EVERYONE ELSE does it also. Otherwise you'll just be spinning your wheels.(A little trucker lingo)

Unknown said...

I'm sad that any Father has to be put in this situation...wondering if they can provide for their family!