Monday, May 23, 2005

I must be sick

I am referring to the video to come out recently of a sixty six year old substitute school bus driver getting into a physical altercation with some teens on his school bus. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,157351,00.html

I was just getting ready for work yesterday afternoon and turned the TV on to Fox News just in time to see the video and a "panel of experts" discussing what had happened. In the video you basically see the bus driver in an attempt to control two boys, who happen to be brothers, basically flip out. He turns and slaps one brother who yells an obsenity at his back, and then grabs him by the neck and walks him back to his seat by the neck. Then he proceeds to go to the back of the bus and pushes the other brother against the window, and I think he puts a seatbelt on the kid.

I know it's probably wrong to sit here and try to justify what this driver did. Yes, he should have remained calm despite the outrageous desrespect these boys were dishing out to him. But, as someone who has had my share of dealing with little spoiled brats like that, I secretly took much gratification watching this driver dish out to these kids what they needed. The look on the little snot's face when that driver grabs him by the throat was priceless.

Anyway, it just kinda goes to show you how things in this world are changing. If this had happened to me when I was a kid, my parents would be more ticked off at me for being a little shi# than they would at the bus driver. My parents would have probably made me go mow the guy's lawn for a summer as an apology.

Kids these days don't have to worry about getting what's coming to them, and they know it. This is a problem. I can't imagine being a school teacher these days with no disciplinary options available.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

This post makes me think about how things were decades ago - this sort of thing wouldn't have even been a news story!

sandy said...

Every adult out there that at one time or another would have liked to kick the sh-- out of some teenager, raise your hand!( Picture my hand in the air)

Unknown said...

We definitely live in the age of entitlement...I remember reading a quote that said something like, "to tolerate disrespect is the surest way to continue it" ...something to that effect!