Thursday, February 24, 2005

BRAINWASHING

brainwash

v 1: persuade completely, often through coercion; "The propaganda brainwashed many people" 2: submit to brainwashing; indoctrinate forcibly

I have heard people be accused of brainwashing their children when they attempt to bring them up in a certain religion or just a beleif in God. I have often thought about this. My parents are devout in thier religion, and subsequently I believe in God, as does my brothers and sisters. Was I merely brainwashed?

On a topic such as this, how can you determine if you've been brainwashed? The dictionary defines brainwashing as: v 1: persuade completely, often through coercion; or: indoctrinate forcibly.

I guess techincally in many ways perhaps I was brainwashed. My parents forced me to go to church as a child, which would fall under indoctrinate forcibly. And I suppose I was persuaded completely in the end. But was this REALLY brainwashing? I must take to task those who would so piously claim that religion brainwahes people.

I submit that by many definitions I was brainwashed daily in public school as a child, and by Sesame Street, and Mr. Rogers too. All of them spewing forth what they would call "lessons" of society. I was brainwashed that 2+2=4 "But, wait". you say. "2+2 DOES = 4"! So, are we to assume that if it's true, then it isn't brainwashing anymore?

So, that's the question that all of my posturing hinges on. If you are brainwashed to believe the truth,...is it still brainwashing? If the answer is no, then when it comes to a belief in God, who's to say what the truth is anyway? If you accuse me of brainwashing, or being brainwashed to believe in God you are inferring that you somehow have the definitive answer on God's existence, or non-existence. And that, I am afraid you just don't have.

Of course if you answered yes, even if it's with the truth, it is still brainwashing, then You, I fear, are the one who's been duped.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very profound! With religion, I'm just thinking the issue, for me, really isn't about the brainwashing its whether it's appropriate! To have a goal-oriented life that is focused on helping others along the way...sign me up!