Thursday, June 04, 2009

No Time For Contentment



I have now reached a point in my weight loss and fitness efforts where I have been before. I am far from my ultimate goal of six pack abs, but have also come kind of far too. You have to understand something about my personality. Something about myself that I have known for years. I am laid back and easily content. I am not typically a hard driven, goal oriented person. I have to set a goal just to set goals.

My current fitness level is about as far as I usually get before dropping off the program and gaining my weight back. Not because of discouragement. It is my own success that is my enemy. At this point I am feeling pretty good about my accomplishment so far. My clothes are fitting much more loose and I can see and feel a difference. And there is a part of my personality that now says, "Alright that's pretty good. Let's settle down and take it easy now for a while." Basically there is a part of me that is content with my current fitness level.

The problem is I know that deep down, I know that this contentment leads to complacency, and that leads to failure. Thankfully, this time around I am aware of these self sabotaging tendencies of my past. This time around will be different. Not only am I shedding pounds of fat, but along with that fat in a way, I am also attempting to shed some of the old me. That part of me that back in high school just barely got good enough grades to keep my good student discount for my auto insurance, even though I could have gotten straight As if I had wanted to. That part of me that has never bothered to set goals that are too hard, or venture out of my comfort zone.

So, I'm writing this particular post to myself. Do not sell yourself short by deciding to be content with where you are at now! In the end it is a cop out. For once in your life get out of that comfort zone and actually believe in yourself! Believe it and you will achieve it!

This time will be different. I am not going to be content and stop here. I have much more to do. I can do it, and I will do it. I will continue to attack attack attack, until the enemy is utterly destroyed. This isn't a diet or a program that I am doing temporarily to shed a few pounds. This is my new life. These are new habits I am forming for life!

Over and out!

2 comments:

Blake said...

I completely understand. I'm exactly the same way. I'm awful at setting goals and once I do get to some level, I change my goals. It's much easier that way. But it really is a weakness. One I wish wasn't so vulnerable in myself. Good luck to you!

Brady said...

Personally, I've found that if you set a goal, you might not achieve it. But, if you never set goals, then you're never dissappointed.