Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Dividends

When my oldest child was born eight and a half years ago I was 265 + pounds. I had stopped counting after 265. My three children have never known me as anything but overweight and breathless. Although I'm not at my goal yet, I am now down to 215 pounds and in the best shape my children have ever seen me in.

Last night at my parent's house I got to reap some of the dividends of my hard work. At one point in the evening while inspecting my dad's garden with him, my daughter stole the ball cap off my head and took off running, giggling insanely as only little girls can do. A few years ago my reaction would have been to call after her to give me my hat back. But, instead I took off on a sprint right after her! When she saw my hot pursuit, she squealed for her brother to help. My six year old son joined forces with his older sister as they played keep away from the old man.

We ran and ran around the back yard, as I hunted them down one at a time, the kids giggling and screaming with delight. Eventually we all ended up on the trampoline where a giant wrestling match for the hat ensued. In the end we all lay panting on our backs looking up at the lavender sky as the summer sun slipped under the horizon.

It felt good. It motivated me to continue on this journey and see it to the end. I want to be there for my kids. I want to be active and healthy for them. It's moments like last night that motivated me to start this difficult process in the first place. And I gotta say. . . it has all been worth it.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That sounds like the best reward for all the work you've been doing!

Kimberly said...

You are such a great dad!!! Our children are so lucky to have you. Thanks so much for all of your hard work. We love you! = )

Anonymous said...

Thank God for answerd prayers ! The answers came at just the right time.
I thought this was a great trip! Thanks for all your hard work to make it sucesfull.

I am going back up this July. I have been volenteered to take some of the Jake family cousins and a friend. I hope I can find the route this time around.
Red Crow.

Brady said...

It should be pretty easy now that we've done it. I plan to redo the same hike without the misadventures this time.