Tuesday, February 20, 2007

I get to keep my job

Well, another year has come, and once again I had to prove my worthiness to keep wearing a gun as a responder on the job. No biggie, but I still get all nervous for it for some reason. Probably because I'm being timed by an X-Oakland Raiders player. We just call him The Griz around here.

Anyway, to keep my job, every year I am required to run a half mile in under 4:40, and a 40 yard dash starting from a prone position in under 7.8 seconds. I made my run in about forty degrees this year, which was nice compared to the six degrees I ran it in last year. Due to the cool air however, I always try to run a moderate pace and try to beat any land speed records. I ran my half mile in 4:05, and my 40 yards in 6.45. Not bad. Could be better if I could lose a good 3o pounds.

Well, I am working on that. I hate to report that last week after not losing one pound after such a successful week before of working out, I kinda fell off the wagon, and ate whatever for four days, including a bowl of cookie dough with my wife while we watched episodes of 24 till three in the morning. The good news is, I talked to my friend Jon, the personal trainer, and I think we figured out why I didn't lose weight.

Basically, in trying to follow Bill Phillips' advice on working out on an empty stomach first thing in the morning, most mornings I wasn't eating anything till noon! Which is unacceptable according to Jon. Which makes sense. You gotta start the metabolism up asap. So for now on, if I want to do the empty stomach thing, I need to get up and to the gym earlier. No more sleeping in. Otherwise, it would be better for me to just go ahead and eat something before heading to the gym. The other problem, is my diet isn't as strict as it was when I tried Body For Life last spring. Mainly I have been eating these collossal sandwiches, that are probably holding me back as well. So, I'm cutting out the big Dagwood daily sandwich.

I am happy to report that despite my own laziness, today ( monday ) I began once again the program with new hope for success. I had a great upper body weight lifting workout to kick it off. So the new goal is to lose 5 lbs in two weeks. Hopefully I can at least see some results this time. If not, it will almost be tempting to go back on Atkins again. Just for the results. I kinda wonder how it would work to do the Atkins diet while working out the Body For Life way.

nuff for now.

2 comments:

White Salamander said...

Weight loss can always be a discouraging sort of thing when it seems it's not going well. I don't thing there is anything wrong with following an Atkins type diet as long as you do it in a sensible way like cutting out carbs and eating fish, chicken and veggies. Where I think Atkins can't be good for you is the idea that you can eat all of the sausage and fatty red meats and not suffer some ill effects down the road.

Congrats on keeping your gun and passing you physical requirements.

Unknown said...

You just keep picking yourself up and dusting yourself off, well done! You've also managed to keep your job all these years so you must be in pretty good physical shape. ...You inspire!