Friday, September 16, 2005

Go Ahead. Take God Out!

Ok, so the nasty little debate over The Pledge of Allegiance is back. Goody. For the past few days I’ve been listening to both sides go at it back and forth. Both sides heatedly and passionately battling it out in the arena of thoughts and ideas.

Let me set something straight right off the bat here. I do believe in a supreme being, a creator, God, or Great Spirit if you will. I believe that we are a nation under God, and that it was through his intervention, and his will that we even became a country. I believe that He sustains our existence as a nation from day to day. I also believe that when we as a nation ultimately turn our backs on him, then we will reap the whirlwind.

That said, I don’t think that taking the words “under God” out of the Pledge is going to spell out our ultimate demise. After all, the original version of the Pledge didn’t even contain the phrase. But, is it so necessary? I mean what is the big deal with these atheists? They say it’s unconstitutional for a child to be forced to acknowledge the existence of God. Last time I was in school, nobody was being “forced” to recite the pledge! We had a member of the Jehova’s Witnesses in our school, and when we said the pledge she would just stand silent. No big deal. Can’t these atheist kids do the same? Can’t we just avoid dragging the country through the muck on this?

On no. Some little attention starved attorney, has to have his fifteen minutes of fame, at the expense of the nation. Well, you know what? I almost hope he gets his way in this. I almost hope the Supreme Court decides in his favor. Cause, you know what I’d love to see? I’d love to see the kids in the schools of this country stand up as one voice and tell the courts and politicians that enough is enough! That we are sick and tired of our right to free speech, and our right to pray, and to have clubs, and to read certain books, and study certain topics being trampled on by lawmakers all in the name of “separation of church and state.” Here we have a free country where supposedly the right to express ourselves is the most valued sacred right we have, but enter one of our public schools, and the thought, and speech police are watching from the front of every classroom.

Imagine a judgment being made to remove the phrase, “under God” from the pledge. Now imagine a pep-assembly at a high school at Anywhere, USA. Think of the kids reciting the pledge, and when it comes to the omitted phrase, as one united student body, they all include “under God” extra loud, and extra clear. Think of this happening all across the USA. How awesome would that be. What are they going to do about that? I’d love to see it. I’d love to see crowds of kids gathering every morning before the bell rings in front of their school to independently recite the pledge, and acknowledge this country’s freedom as a divine gift. I would love to see it. Love to.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

You know, they just this year mandated saying the pledge in my school district! And the whole thing is in tact ;)

Brady said...

Jessica,

I can appreciate your opinion on this. I even understand the logic that leads you to your opinion, but please understand that I am not advocating that we force anyone to recite the pledge. Even if a school district such as Wil's mandates the pledge, it should not force kids to particpate in the pledge if they choose not to.

I don't think in America today there are any children being forced to recite the pledge against their will. That said, you are right, pledging allegience to a piece of fabric is a rather absurd tradition, but I beleive the flag is more than a piece of fabric. I've seen grown men weep tears as a flag is retired. If it was a mere piece of fabric those tears would sure seem awful silly wouldn't they? But they don't to me, because of what the flag represents and symbolizes.

As far as kids not understanding or caring what they are doing. I can only recite from my own experience having grown up in a school district where every morning started with a pledge of allegience to the flag. I remember being in third grade and maybe I didn't understand what indivisible, or republic meant, but I know the impression it left on my mind to recite those words. I remember feeling proud, and grateful to be an American. I knew that being an American was special in some way, even if I didn't fully comprehend why.

Unknown said...

I would assert that we take all Satanic things out of school...I'm pretty sure that would have eliminated my 4th grade reading teacher, Mrs. Snouffer...she was the devil herself!